Friday, May 30, 2014

Highlighted Zippers... Under Debate.

We have all seen it, this style of zippers highlighted down the back of clothing. 




When I first saw this I thought "Oh cool!  I can do that and what a fun way to embellish!"  
But as I continued the consider it, a thought came to me, 
"Could this style send a bad message?"  
A really horrible, degrading message of 
"Look how easily my clothes can come off"  

That. Is. Disgusting. 

So, I am asking your opinion: 
Do you consider this highlighted zipper style harmless or provoking?  

And if they do send the wrong message, are only the long zippers the culprits?
 Or are the short ones as well?  




Can it depend on the situation?
For instance, does it make a difference if I wear this style to a school dance or a wedding? 

For me, it depends a lot on the garment, some definitely scream "sexual" while others are just harmless.  Also, I think that it would be more appropriate to have this style on a garment you would wear it to a wedding rather than a school dance.  In addition to that, I think the long highlighted zippers can send more of a bad message than short ones.  
However, I am still on the fence.

I think we also need to ask the thoughts of our fathers as well as our brothers in Christ.  
See what they are thinking.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.  
 

The point of this post is NOT to point fingers, but to discuss then effects of wearing garments with these embellishments.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I have never thought of the zipper thing like that before..... like you said I at first think that its a cool new trend( I tend to be open to new fads and trends as long as there modest and display godly character ).Thank you for looking out side the box. I showed my dad the pictures and he really didn't say they were immodest, he thought they were different and cool. I don't quite remember but I think that the long one he didn't care much for. Personally I agree with your thought and I myself are not found of the way that the long one looks(but if I saw lots of people wear it it might grow on me). I like the short ones but I for sure don't think the long ones are appropriate. Because really your drawling attention to your back side. The short ones might be a different case. I do think that some guys especially non Christians would struggle with the long zippers ( and maybe even the short ones) It is defiantly something to pray about. Thank you for taking the time to think about it. Some times we (like myself) fall for the trends quickly without thinking about it or praying. Even if our clothes are not revealing they can still be immodest. I guess it all boils down to what God wants you to do. I'm not saying that modesty is not a command for every one I m just saying that we always need to hear what God has for us.
    Does that make sense?

    ~ Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts!
      Yes, I agree that we always need to listen to what God is calling us to do and wear! Everyone has a different modesty standard, which hopefully comes from the various paths God has called us to.

      As I said above, I think it depends on what the type of garment the zipper is attached to, where the zipper is placed and what message it is sending. For instance, I have seen some zippers that definitely send a bad message, while others don't. I do have a fondness towards those embellishments that don't send a bad message, because they take a normal necessity and use it for decoration, which I think is ingenious.

      My goal is to awaken people to think through what message their clothing is sending before they wear it. Also, to remind people that it is helpful to ask for advice and insight from others, which as you said, you did!

      I certainly agree that it is important to pray and follow what God is calling us to do before following trends, because He will guide us in which way we should go.

      Delete
  2. I defiantly agree! I see what you mean, especially about the longer ones. I never exactly cared for them in the first place, so it hasn't been a problem for me, but now even more reason to avoid buying anything like that!
    ~ Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that the zippers will be seen as provocative or provoking unless the wearer intends them to be seen that way. It's a cute trend and the long zipper in really just a way to get into the dress. I don't believe that anyone who wears a long zipper in being immodest as long as they are not presenting themselves in a promiscuous way.

    ReplyDelete