Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Respect






"Look how short that skirt is, I can almost see her butt." "THAT dress is so immodest, I bet that woman has no morals."

These are all comments or thoughts that I'm sure that all of us woman who dress modestly are guilty of.

But why? Why would we think about these negative things about other women?

I think that it might stem from a lot emotions: jealously, curiosity, or even just trying to validate our own reasons for dressing modestly.

I struggle overcoming these thoughts and after learning more about what modesty really is, I have realized how toxic and actually immodest these thoughts are.

But how can these thoughts be immodest? I mean, I am not lusting. 

To answer that we have to look at what modesty is all about.

First, it is about where your heart is.
Second, it is about respecting yourself.
Third, it is about respecting others.

We usually think the third statement is about helping males keep their thoughts pure, but why should we limit ourselves there? God's love has no limits, so why should ours.

Why do we hesitate to open ourselves to respecting those who don't respect themselves? Every person is a beautiful creation of God, and though they might not realize that, we have to treat them as such.

Also, how can we show them the benefits of dressing with dignity if they are constantly judged? I think that we all can understand the weight of an unspoken judgment. Like I hinted at above, I am still a work-in-progress with this issue, but with prayer and self-control I hope to improve myself.


So next time when you see someone dressing in a way that you disagree with, don't undermine them, don't judge them, love them past it! This is what God does for us everyday, so why shouldn't we do the same for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment